Ritzenthaler_Mill

5 East Street:

The Village Hall ca. 1886

The first Village Hall, which stood on this stie, was destroyed by a fire in 1885. Romanesque Revival style of architecture was used primarly for governmental and institutional buildings. The Hose Tower on the Ontario Street side of the bulding was added in 1888 for the convenience of the Fire Department that, at one time, housed its equipment in this structure. An auditorium on the upper floor supported many fundraising dances, vaudville acts and eventually the movie going public could see the latest theatrical productions.

Close Window